We are glad to present you the 45th issue of the St. Petersburg International Legal Forum Digest.
To subscribe to regular mailing please follow the link.
St. Petersburg, former capital of the Russian Empire, is one of the most beautiful cities of Russia and Europe and the biggest northern city in the world. It was founded in 1703 on the banks of the Neva River and the Baltic Sea and became a window through which one can look at Russia and, at the same time, Russia looks at the world.
Besides the program included in the delegate package, we are happy to introduce you optional tours that discover St. Petersburg from the absolutely new perspective. You will see the city being substantive, magic, romantic, get acquainted with wonderful stories of its citizens...
In the section Sightseeing Tours you can find a lot of tours options. To order a tour or create an individual programme please forward the request to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is May 4th, 2016.
The General Staff Building, Saint Petersburg
Thanks to longstanding partnership with the State Hermitage Museum the General Staff Building will open its doors to the Forum’s participants for the fifth time in 2016.
The General Staff Building, one of the most famous architectural monuments in Saint Petersburg, was designed by the architect K. I. Rossi and was built between 1820 and 1830. The project revolved around the architect’s idea to unite two separate buildings with a triumphal arch, a monument to Russia’s victory in the war of 1812. This majestic arch is a symbol of Russia’s glory and military triumph; it forms a symmetrical axe with the central part of the Winter Palace.
The eastern wing of the General Staff Building originally housed the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and several other ministries of the Russian Empire. From 1917, different institutions and organizations occupied the building including People's Commissariat for Foreign Affairs; the General Staff was located in the western wing, but nowadays it is the headquarters of the Western Military District.
Residence of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation, St. Petersburg
On May 17, 2016 the Forum’s official program will feature an international conference titled Contemporary Constitutional Justice: Challenges and Prospects in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation. The conference will be held in the Residence of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation.
The Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation occupies an ensemble of historic buildings in the heart of the Northern Capital, right across from the Bronze Horseman. It includes the building of the former Senate, supreme governing body of the Russian Empire, the House of Laval and the Borkh-Polyakov tenement building.
The Senate building is a late Classicist architectural monument that was built in the first third of the 19th century and became the last major project of Carlo Rossi. The House of Laval owes its present-day appearance to the architects Andrey Voronikhin and Jean-François Thomas de Thomon. In the first half of the 19th century, it was one of the centres of cultural life in St Petersburg, famous for its interiors and a collection of works of art. In 1909, the state bought the house and adapted it for the Senate’s needs.
The Small Hermitage, St. Petersburg
The Forum will end with a gala dinner in sumptuous interiors of the St. Petersburg State Art and Industry Academy named after its founder Alexander von Stieglitz.
A two-storey building was erected next to the Winter Palace in 1764-1766 by the architect Yuri Velten commissioned by Empress Catherine II. It successfully combined late Baroque and early Neoclassicist elements.
In 1767-1769 the architect Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe built a pavilion on the Neva River embankment with a grand hall, several living-rooms and an orangery for the Empress’s quite rest. Decorative pattern of the building follows Neo-classical canons as well as typical for this style austere proportions which reference the architectural structure of the Winter Palace. The rhythm of the Corinthian colonnade on the second level of the pavilion emphasizes the architectural unity of two buildings quite different stylistically.
The southern and northern pavilions were then connected by the Hanging Garden (raised to the level of the first floor) with galleries on its both sides. The whole architectural complex was named the Small Hermitage after the purpose of the northern pavilion where Catherine II hosted entertaining evenings with games and plays which she called "small hermitages". Fine art collections placed in the galleries running along the Hanging Garden have initiated the collections of the imperial museum.
The famous Peacock Clock is located in the Pavilion Hall; the galleries of the Small Hermitage host the exhibition of Western European paintings and decorative art works.
Please, visit Venue for more information.
Leading experts in the spheres of law, economy and international relations, heads of world companies’ legal departments, members of international legal community have been interviewed by our journalist during the V SPBILF and shared their impressions on the Forum.
Find a video-interview in each issue of the Digest and enjoy viewing!
In the time of rapidly developing technical capabilities and increasing value of time online training is getting more accessible and relevant. Please advice us which online courses are you taking.Advice