About Forum 2014
The IV St. Petersburg International Legal Forum was held on June
3280 delegates took part in the Forum 2014. From 2011 to 2014 the number of participants has increased threefold: from 757 to 3280.
The geography of the Forum has also expanded: it brought together representatives of 79 countries from the USA, Europe, BRICS, CIS, Latin America, Africa and Middle East.
The number of official delegations has increased by 2.5 times in last 1 year: the Forum was attended by 55 delegations (21 delegations in 2013).
424 representatives of mass media specializing on law and economy from Russia and abroad were working at the venue.
Business programme of the Forum 2014 featured around 50 discussion sessions within 10 thematic tracks:
- International Law/ Rule of Law
- Corporate Practice
- Standards of Legal Profession/ Law Practice Management
- Litigation and Arbitration Practice
- Finance/ Investments/ International Projects
- Competition/ Trade
- Smart Society
- Environment/ Resources
- Private Law
- Cultural Heritage
and two conferences:
- Treaty on the Eurasian Economic Union: New Page of Integration
- Conference on Legal Education
Plenary Session entitled “The Concept of Rule of Law in Legal Systems: Key Takeaways and Future Prospects” convened on June 20 on the new stage of the Mariinsky theatre featuring Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister of the Russian Federation.
In 2014 the “Contribution to the Development of Legal Integration in the Eurasian Space” St. Petersburg International Legal Forum Award took place for the first time in the history of the Forum. The prize awarded by Dmitry Medvedev was won by Fayzullo Abdulloyev, a judge of the Court of the Eurasian Economic Community; Anatoly Kapustin, President of the Russian branch of the International Law Association, Chairman of International Law Commission of the Russian Bar Association, Senior Deputy Director of the Institute of Legislation of the Russian Federation; and Tair Mansurov, Secretary General of the Eurasian Economic Community.
Besides, 6 satellite events organized by the partners of the SPBILF were held:
- Regional seminar of the Hague Conference on Private International Law and Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation entitled “Cross-border Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments”
- International Conference of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation
- “From Legal Form to Economical Substance. First Results of Civil Legislation Reform” Conference organized by the RCCA
- V International Youth Legal Forum
- II Congress of Law Professors
- “20 years to Russian legal business results and prospects” Roundtable by the RBC
In keeping with Forum’s traditions, guests could enjoy an exclusive activities package. In 2014 the list of cultural events included the first night performance in the Mariinsky theatre featuring opera and ballet stars (Ulyana Lopatkina), exclusive evening opening of the Hermitage Museum and other museums only for the Forum’s participants, boat tours.
The Gala Dinner took place in the premises of the Peter and Paul Fortress during the Scarlet Sails Show, the only Russian festival listed in the world’s event tourism catalogue recommended to visit in almost 20 European Union countries.